Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Kids Destroyed Me

Fitness assessment day for the kids in the Winter Park ski program could only mean one thing for this office chair sitter... disaster.  I was prepared to eat crow, and it was worth it to see where I stood as a ski racer.  In all fairness, these are kids growing up in the program and taking off of school everyday 'round noon to hit the hill.  Talk about an advantage.  Not to mention they live at 9000 feet, so my lungs were already behind before the fun even began.... which explains why they destroyed me in every test that lasted longer than 1-2 seconds.  I did well relative to the 18-year-old ski racers in the vertical jump (24") and the flexibility test (8" past the toes). Each of these numbers were at the upper end of the group, so the good news is that I have some natural power and flexibility.  I wasn't able to do any of the running or the box jumps because of my shoulder, so the only other tests I could do were the balance and core strength tests. I got my butt kicked in both!

All in all, it was worth the trip today to check out Winter Park for the first time and see where I was at with my training. I proved that I have a good foundation of power and flexibility.  I think with a few adjustments to my workouts, I'll be able to fill in the gaps and get a great jump start on this ski season!

No comments:

Post a Comment