After all, it is a dream right? So what if it might be a little bit on the other side of reality? That's what dreams are for. So what if I want to travel the world as a professional ski cross racer? All I know is this:
1. Skiing is my passion.
2. I am built for this. At 6'2" 220 lbs, I have a lot of momentum. Physics are on my side! I also have good height and excellent flexibility to absorb rollers and jumps well.
3. Despite not growing up around skiing, I believe my extensive repetitions with baseball movements have allowed me to transition into a naturally good skier. I have quick calves, explosive hips, and a strong core from baseball.
4. Skiing like a Texan my whole life, I am used to pushing limits and being in situations outside my ability level. I have a fast learning curve with skiing because of this. I also have a lot of experience with jumps (I am up to the 6' tall "medium" jumps in the expert terrain park) along with an extensive history of "Oh shit!" moments. In short, I ski aggressively and on the edge. I clocked myself at 74 mph on my gps after I got my racing skis last year- and I was holding back a little.
So why not give it a calculated shot? It's not like I have to quit my job and move to the mountains to get started. For the 2010/11 season, I will be training on weekends in an adult racing program at Winter Park and competing in the USASA Rocky Mountain Series for ski cross at Copper Mountain. There are also several adult alpine racing leagues around CO that could be valuable competition experience for me. The more race experience the better, I am only limited by the amount of competition funds I can raise!
No comments:
Post a Comment