Friday, January 14, 2011

Second Time's the Charm

Slow and steady didn't win the race, but it beat at least 5 senior citizens and one woman my age.  That's right, I crossed the finish line and they announced my name on the PA.  It seems cheesy but it felt good to finish a race, even if about 50 old farts were faster than me last Sunday. The race was on home turf at Winter Park, so my coach was on hand to give some crucial advice, cheer me on, and snap this extremely rare photo of a Texan in a ski race.  I had to pull back considerably from my first GS race last month so I could make it all the way down the run.  I was happy to take it easy and accomplish my goal of finishing the whole course.  While I am much better than I was a month ago, going full bore on a GS course just isn't the right strategy for me.  I just don't quite have enough skill yet to execute a sharp GS turn.  Fortunately, turns in skicross are a little bit bigger than GS and I will have some assistance from the banks.  I'm hoping this will allow me to charge a lot harder than on a GS course. We'll find out next week at my first set of skicross races in Steamboat...  pretty sure I'm going to be the old fart there.

Click photo to zoom


No comments:

Post a Comment